www.flickr.com
items in LAML More in LAML pool
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LAML Forums '08

Posted by Jamit 
LAML Forums '08
July 20, 2008 09:16AM
Well the time is soon coming when once again these forums will be open to the public and I suspect we will get move visitors joining up then ever before. I could be wrong, but I have high hopes...again! winking smiley

I am happy with this software. I think it will allow us to create what we want easily and I believe we might be able to make this lock in with the WordPress blog. If we are indeed able to do that it would be simply amazing! Besides that we will need a new theme and I believe a few other plugins/new images. What do we want to do for the logo?

Also, before we had this slight pause while searching for a new type of software I asked the question, why are we reopening these forums? What will set us apart from the rest? What do we have to offer? I await the current admins answers...
Re: LAML Forums '08
July 20, 2008 09:37PM
Quote:
Jamit
Also, before we had this slight pause while searching for a new type of software I asked the question, why are we reopening these forums? What will set us apart from the rest? What do we have to offer? I await the current admins answers...

If we are ever going to be an empire, we need a fan base and a place where they are in one place..

Yeah, change the theme to your likings and I will 'try' to make a banner.
July 20, 2008 11:02PM
If we are trying to make an empire, we might as well give up right now. People won't just come because we are here, nor should they. We need to give people a reason to join and I think that reason should be based on the podcast, but it shouldn't be the podcast. See what I'm saying?

What did you think of the logo I had at the other forum?
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/jamit/forum/banners/logotest.png

[radio.laml.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2008 11:04PM by Jamit.
July 21, 2008 12:18AM
Q, do you know how to create menu bars? Would you be able to create one like just like the one the official Phorum boards have? I think having something like that would be really great...

[radio.laml.org]
July 21, 2008 12:45AM
Quote:
Jamit
"If we are trying to make an empire, we might as well give up right now. People won't just come because we are here, nor should they. We need to give people a reason to join and I think that reason should be based on the podcast, but it shouldn't be the podcast. See what I'm saying?"

Urm... To share the love for LEGO? That was LAML point, was it?

About the logo... Add our chatty minifig head and it will do swell!

I'll take a look at the options.

EDIT 2: Memory (Remember him?) want to join... Should we? I would but it is for boards James.

Nevermind, I let him in.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2008 12:52AM by reepblue.
July 21, 2008 02:00AM
Let all the old members in and I'll be inviting a couple new ones as well.

reepblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Urm... To share the love for LEGO? That was LAML
> point, was it?

Yes, that is the point of these forums. But what I think the podcast has shown is you need to find new ways to do that. There was not a single active podcast about LEGO going, we became the first to stay regular and look where that has gone. 400+ listeners!

We have to do the same sorta thing with these boards. There are a huge amount of LEGO forums on the internet already that are much more active then LAML has ever been. Classic-Castle, FBTB, Eurobricks, Builders Lounge, BZpower, Classic-Space, and so many more little ones. The LEGO community does not need yet another place to "share the love" the same way it has been doing for 10 years at other places. LAML must offer something new (again) or we will not get any new members.

So, what can we bring to the table that is new? Making it so these forums allow for discussion around the podcast will go along way, but only if done right and we will also need something more. Here are a few ideas:

-News Discussion
I try to put out a weekly news show for LAMLradio. Because of this I am always looking for news stories and quite often I find stories that have not yet been mentioned on any other LEGO specific site (LEGO Halo: The Video Game is a good example of that). Because of this I believe we could make these forums the ultimate place to find LEGO news. And if members talk about the stories I will have extra content I can pull onto the podcast.

-Tap Into Web 2.0 Sites and Video
Using flickr, YouTube, and twitter on these forums should be a must for us all. These sites are great ways of talking/sharing LEGO and I think if we all signed up for twitter and integrated flickr and YouTube into the forums that would add something new.

-Exclusive Interviews
This would be something for LAMLradio fans, but interviews that are only available via the forums is a must.

Small list so far, but I've got a few other ideas I'm chewing on...

[radio.laml.org]
July 21, 2008 02:06AM
Don't forget the Suggestion Box. The listeners what to hear what they want to hear. Yeah, I'll post a few ideas of my own in a little bit.
July 21, 2008 02:11AM
By the way, if you didn't get a chance to listen to the discussion in Episode #47 I would suggest you go back and do just that. That is what I'm just about to do.

[radio.laml.org]
July 21, 2008 04:26AM
So, how are we going to avoid what LUGNET went though? We have to avoid separation, make sure no one gets hurt, and limitations(?) We have much to discuss. so lets get talking on how it is going to be different then everyone else. And if we get the forum off the ground, we will think more on where it will be going.
July 21, 2008 04:49AM
I doubt separation will be a problem as I don't think our forum will ever grow to the size where that becomes a problem. I see these forums as hopefully having an active, close knit community as opposed to a massive one with thousands of memebers. Perhaps that will be a key to keeping these forums sane, make sure it doesn't get too many members. I think that has always been the goal of LAML, keep it small and close knit.

I think our mission should be to push the boundaries of how we discuss LEGO. We have a podcast already and I think we can use that to great effect. Perhaps we could aim to start doing live shows and only forum members will be allowed to listen in. After the show gets recorded we could do an "open discussion" with forum members via Skype where we talk about recent MOCs posted here and whatever else we feel like. This would really make the community feel more real. I think all the other forums out there are mainly text based but if LAML has a weekly real time chat for members...

[radio.laml.org]
July 21, 2008 05:08AM
Can you tell me how to. I can't get to the Admin CP. All I can edit is groups.
July 21, 2008 05:10AM
[forum.laml.org]

[radio.laml.org]
July 22, 2008 01:37AM
Thanks for letting the bum in the trashcan in.

So, you plan to create the most technologically advanced forum possible so that members can discuss their favourite plastic bricks more efficiently? It's an interesting idea, but there are the logistics to consider. Not everyone has/can set up and connect a decent microphone to their computer, but maybe that will change.

[...keep it small and close-knit.] Just so long as it doesn't become a PPE? clone. '_^
July 22, 2008 02:46AM
The great thing is, your phone can work as well...

A PPE clone? Right...

[radio.laml.org]
July 22, 2008 06:15AM
We will try to stay small! winking smiley
July 22, 2008 06:03PM
Oh right- I forgot about the phone. Well then, members being allowed to talk to strangers over the internet (tolerances will vary, I'm sure), that idea could work very well. Would there be an option to listen in to the conversation without taking a part in it?
July 22, 2008 08:05PM
I'm quite sure we will be able to do that and provide recordings of the events for forum members as well. I think that the wiki would be a great place to post guides and info on how to take part, so those might still serve a purpose.

[radio.laml.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 2 on September 03, 2010
Record Number of Guests: 69 on March 31, 2010