www.flickr.com
items in LAML More in LAML pool
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LAML.org

Posted by Jamit 
LAML.org
July 21, 2008 02:13AM
Tuomas, we will need a page for LAML.org setup before we reopen the forums, how is it coming?

[radio.laml.org]
Re: LAML.org
July 21, 2008 04:30AM
Quote:
Jamit
Tuomas, we will need a page for LAML.org setup before we reopen the forums, how is it coming?

Are we going to talk about that site. Is it going to be one page or many pages. How about as for the pages....

Home | About | Text Interviews |
July 21, 2008 04:41AM
I believe that for the time being it will be a very basic site. One introduction page with links to podcast/forums/wiki(?) and an about page with some history. I think that is what me and TheQ agreed to when we last chatted about it...

[radio.laml.org]
July 21, 2008 04:44AM
Ok... Yes, what is the future of the wiki? Are we gonna let it rot or use it?

As for the forum, tell me when you are ready for me to make more boards..
July 21, 2008 04:52AM
I think the wiki might still have a place. It would take a lot of work and I don't have the time right now but if new members start coming in...

Go ahead and make a couple more forums and clean up the descriptions if you want to. We need a forum for the podcast...

[radio.laml.org]
July 21, 2008 05:10AM
I asked in the wrong topic. Were can I get to the Admin CP. (EDIT: Nevermind) And what is that garbage on the top?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2008 05:12AM by reepblue.
July 21, 2008 08:19PM
I was just testing some stuff out...

[radio.laml.org]
July 21, 2008 09:48PM
..Ok, I like the idea of the flickr group pictures bin, but lets have it in LAML.org.
July 22, 2008 11:21PM
I've been fooling around with flash a little and I want to know what you guys think about this:

[laml.org]

[radio.laml.org]
July 23, 2008 10:45AM
If we could get the Skype, Twitter and other pictures similar to LAML.org logo, that could work. How large the file is?
July 23, 2008 08:39PM
What is the LAML.org logo? I didn't know that we had one. And I don't know about you, but I really like the twitter image. With a bit of tweaking we could maybe make that look good, no?

The flash file is 50kb at the moment but I think I should be able to compress that to about 30kb. I'm also not done editing it so it might get bigger as well. The images are about 10kb each but I can move those over to flickr so they won't hurt us.

How much bandwidth do we have?

[radio.laml.org]
July 23, 2008 10:20PM
30kb is still rather massive. It ain't as bad as the shoutbox file but still.

Our bandwith is 6Gb per month, I think. I am not sure.

PHP file would be much smaller and offer a bit more "normal" website browsing experiment.

You should really ask it from the listeners (don't mention it in the podcast, just ask few good guests to review it), they are the ones that mostly need it =P
July 23, 2008 11:14PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with the shoutbox file was that it automatically refreshed itself. There would be no such issue with this. But its worth it to do the math, so let us see...

1 Hit = 30kb
50 Hits = 1.46mb
100 Hits = 2.92mb
1,000 Hits = 29mb
100,000 Hits = 2.92gb

Now I am all for aiming big, but I highly doubt we would get over 100,000 hits in a month. And if we do it would most likely be because of the new look...

And as I think I've stated before, "normal" isn't good enough. We need to push what has already been done in the online community. If our site looks like all the other ones, who will come back? But if site is exciting and "new" then we have a chance to succeed. Yes, I will ask for plenty of reviews. Infact I asked my dad last night and he was pretty impressed and he does a lot of web work.

[radio.laml.org]
July 23, 2008 11:34PM
Heh, well. After the few short cuts, I have been rather "scared" about large files =/

Now that you calculated it, it seems OK. Still I would like to see much more "LAML styled".

You didn't like the logo suggestion I did, did you?
July 23, 2008 11:51PM
No, I did not like it at all. Sorry, but it wasn't pleasing to look at...

What is LAML style?

[radio.laml.org]
July 24, 2008 02:32AM
That's something that we should develop winking smiley

We did have that light blue and orange for along time, I kinda liked that?
July 24, 2008 04:14AM
Do you mean the generic MercuryBoard theme that we modified the images to add a bit of blue? Yeah, I guess that was OK but I don't think it stood out as being all that exciting. And I can't stress that exciting factor enough. People listened to the podcast because it was new and had not been done before for so long, we need to take that and implement it into the homepage. I mean think about it, is there even one LEGO fan site that has started to use flash yet? None come to my mind...

I really like the dark blue that is on the flash page and I think we could perhaps integrate it with these forums, do you not like it? If you don't, what would you suggest the combo for that background image be? A white back ground to replace the black and orange to replace the dark blue?

Steven are you still here or have you dropped off the face of the earth again?

[radio.laml.org]
July 25, 2008 07:17AM
New colours, let me know what you think...

[radio.laml.org]
July 25, 2008 01:24PM
Skype and Twitter links don't work?

Anyway, the problem I see is that the page doesn't have uniformal colorscape. The logo is multicolored, background is white, flash-thingys background is orange, the links are multicolored.. You see the problem?
July 25, 2008 02:47PM
Quote:
TheQ
Anyway, the problem I see is that the page doesn't have uniformal colorscape. The logo is multicolored, background is white, flash-thingys background is orange, the links are multicolored.. You see the problem?
No, I don't see the problem.

Logo = White, Blue, and Orange
Flash Thing = Orange and White

Keeping in mind that it took me all of about one hour to make that, I'd say that is a good start. You can't expect me to have a clean, finished project in that amount of time, can you?

And I don't see why the links need to fit in with the other colours. If I post an image of a LEGO MOC on the LAMLradio blog chances are it doesn't fit into the theme of the blog. But that is not the point of those images...

[radio.laml.org]
July 27, 2008 02:34AM
Quote:
Jamit

Steven are you still here or have you dropped off the face of the earth again?

Oops!. I checked last on the 24th and nothing was new. I forget to check back since I get to much in Portal Mapping. Yesterday I was playing Team Fortress 2 and my brother took over my machine to play counter strike. Thats what you get for a Computer meant for gaming!

Nice work towards laml.org. I like the .swf file as I believe that it should be the front page and centered on laml.org and have information on laml.org/home

I believe that the LAML.org logo should be something like the LAMLradio/brickcast log. How about the minifig head in front of a PC monitor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2008 02:52AM by reepblue.
July 27, 2008 04:36AM
Maybe it could be a minifig head>bricks>PC monitor? Or something like that...

[radio.laml.org]
July 28, 2008 02:46AM
:/ Not sure... I'll do a rough draft.
July 28, 2008 09:35PM
I haven't done anything with this over the weekend, but I'll get back to work on Tuesday.

[radio.laml.org]
July 30, 2008 12:37AM
Doing rough draft now. Should have image up by tonight!
July 30, 2008 04:52AM
Double post = Fail... -_-

But heres what I came up with..

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/Reepblue/tret.png
July 30, 2008 04:54AM
No...

I just can't see something like that working as a logo. I find it very hard to tell that is a monitor.

[radio.laml.org]
July 30, 2008 05:02AM
.... Thats why we are drafting. winking smiley

But, I was afraid that if I do a traditional monitor, it would look like a TV. Ill give it a do, anyhow..

EDIT: Yeah, It did not go well... Lets try something with the internet. Ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2008 05:16AM by reepblue.
July 30, 2008 06:22AM
Do you think that what the problem is is that its just not simple enough? Look at some of the top web logos and you will see that all of them are simple. Most having only one image or no image at all.

The podcast "logo" you created was awesome because that was album art and doesn't need to be simple. But for this site logo I think we should aim for a simple look. That is why I suggested the three basic bricks...

[radio.laml.org]
July 30, 2008 10:05AM
So, how about we just have the minifig head as our logo. It is the core of all of the podcast logos..We will have it small on a 190 x 56 image on the Left and have "LAML.org" on the right of it.

Quote:
Jamit
The podcast "logo" you created was awesome because that was album art and doesn't need to be simple.

Tee hee.. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 2 on September 03, 2010
Record Number of Guests: 69 on March 31, 2010